Course Description & Maps
Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay
This flat course starts marathon runners and relay teams at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, PA. Maybe an odd location to start, but it’s easy to find and has plenty of parking. Scenic, shady and a net elevation drop of 240’ make it an attractive qualifying run for the Boston Marathon. The median runner’s time for the past few years has been under 4 hours. The half marathon starts at the marathon’s midpoint and is run from Bethlehem to Easton. The course is divided into 5 legs.
Leg 1 - 6.2 miles
Lehigh Valley Hospital, Cedar Crest & I-78 (Allentown) to Martin Luther King Dr. & S. 4th St. (Allentown)
(All hard surface).
- Mile 1 – A loop out from the Lehigh Valley Hospital parking lot, through a quiet neighborhood. Very flat. All macadam surface.
- Mile 2 – This mile is fast. It features a significant downhill section on a wide roadway. Watch your speed. All macadam surface.
- Mile 3 – Scenic. You will cross a covered bridge (wooden surface) and a small pedestrian bridge. All macadam surface. Flat terrainMile 4 – Through the Lehigh Parkway, over the Robin Hood Bridge (small bridge, steel surface.) All macadam surface. Flat terrain.
- Mile 5 – Over the Schreiber Bridge, (small bridge, macadam surface) and on to Martin Luther King Blvd. All macadam surface. Flat Terrain.
- Mile 6 – Through south Allentown, PA on the streets. Over the Hamilton Street Bridge, (larger bridge, concrete surface.) Flat terrain.
Leg 2 - 5.8 miles
Martin Luther King Dr. & S. 4th St. (Allentown) to Main & Lehigh St. (Bethlehem)
2.1 miles on paved road, 3.7 miles on cinder trail (ends at mile marker 12.1)
- Mile 7 – Slightly downhill to Canal Park and on to the Delaware & Lehigh Canal Path.
- Mile 8 thru 12 – On to the Delaware & Lehigh Canal Path. Cinder surface. Very flat. Narrow area.
Leg 3 - 4.8 miles
Main & Lehigh St. (Bethlehem) to Canal Park, Main St. & Lockhouse Rd. (Freemansburg)
3.2 miles on cinder trail, 1.6 miles on paved road (ends at mile marker 16.8).
- Mile 13 – Through the city of Bethlehem, PA. on the streets, except a 100 yard cinder section through historic Bethlehem. Flat terrain.
- Mile 14 thru 16 – Back on the D & L Canal Path. Mostly cinder surface, but a few grass surface spots. Narrow. Flat terrain.
Leg 4 - 5.8 miles
Canal Park, Main St. & Lockhouse Rd. (Freemansburg) to Riverview Park, Lehigh Dr. (Palmer Township)
3.0 miles on cinder trail, 0.4 miles on dirt road, 2.4 miles on paved bike trail (ends at mile marker 22.6).
- Mile 16 thru 20 – Back on the D & L Canal Path. Mostly cinder surface, but a few grass surface spots. Narrow. Flat terrain.
- Mile 21 – Starts with a gravel roadway 0.7 miles long, then a short macadam surface followed by a short grassy surface. Uphill at the start.
Leg 5 - 3.6 miles
Riverview Park, Lehigh Dr. (Palmer Township) to Scott Park, Larry Holmes Dr. (Easton)
3.6 miles on paved surfaces (ends at mile marker 26.2).
Mile 22 thru 26.2 – All hard surface (concrete or macadam) on the D & L Canal Path. Over the Glendon Bridge and the Smith Bridge. From mile marker #22 it’s a gentle downhill run to the confluence of the Lehigh & Delaware Rivers finishing in Scott Park, Easton, PA.